Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Maddox rolls

If you live in Northern Utah and haven't been to Maddox Ranch House in Brigham, you are missing out.  I would honestly make the drive JUST for their rolls.  Since that's not always an option (especially in the winter!), I found a recipe online for copycat Maddox rolls.  I made them for the first time last night.  :)

Maddox Ranch Rolls

2 TBSP yeast dissolved in 1/2 C warm water
Scald 2 C milk

To scald milk: pour the milk in a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat.  When it gets frothy and the bubbles stick to the sides of the pan, it's done!
 When that is done, pour it over 1/2 C softened butter and 1 tsp salt.  Mix it up and let cool until warm.
When it's warm, combine it with your yeast mixture, 1/2 C sugar, 3 eggs, and 5 1/2 C flour.

Bonus points to you if you can pour and take a picture at the same time.  ;)
Stir thoroughly.  
(I used a beater-made it way easier and no one told me not to.)

GOOPY!
 At this point in the recipe, it said, "Dough will be sticky.  Very goopy."  They weren't kidding!!!  I tried to take a pic, but it's hard to tell just how goopy it was.  It was a big bowl of goop!  Don't panic and DON'T try to knead it.

Let rise for 90 minutes.
I put a warm, damp towel over the top (like I always do with breads) and at the end of 90 minutes, the towel was COVERED in goop and hard to pull off the top.  SO, I would suggest covering it with saran wrap that is HEAVILY sprayed with Pam (or Great Value).  ;)

Spoon into well greased muffin tins.  Allow to rise until slightly rounded.  
(I only waited about 10-15 minutes and it was fine.)

Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

ALL DONE!
Maddox's rolls are perfectly shaped, and mine were kinda funky looking:
 
 But they tasted great!!!
It was seriously the easiest roll recipe I have EVER made.  This is going to be my "go-to" roll recipe from now on.
It's been a while since I've been to Maddox, so I can't remember exactly what their rolls taste like, but I don't think these are a perfect copycat, y'know?  However, they were delicious and no one was complaining.  :)

And you can't have Maddox rolls without...
RASPBERRY BUTTER!!
WOO!

Raspberry butter

1/2 C butter-softened
1/3 C fresh or frozen raspberries (I used frozen)
2 TBSP confectioner's sugar
Dash lemon juice

Combine all ingredients.  Serve immediately.  Refrigerate leftovers.

The roll recipe made 36 rolls (it says it only makes 24, but maybe if they were all HUGE that would be right), so I doubled the butter recipe.
 
 I thought it looked weird, but was brave enough to try it anyway.

OH. MY. GOSH. it was DELICIOUS!!!!
And I'm SO glad I doubled it.  With that many rolls, this was perfect!

Serve with turkey steaks, mashed potatoes, and you're all set!  Enjoy!

P.S. If you buy Maddox Turkey Steaks at the store, the package will say that it takes 25 minutes to cook them.  IT LIES!!  Ours took about 45 minutes (and, yes, I followed the directions correctly).  Just a head's up.  :)

P.P.P.P.P.S.S. If you're NOT going to make the raspberry butter with these, then add another 1/2 C sugar to the recipe.  The rolls will taste better plain that way.

1 comment: