Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cafe Rio Sweet Pork

Pork Roast (Mine was a Pork Sirloin Roast Boneless--but it doesn't have to be this kind)
1 jar salsa (I used about 2 cups of mild Pace Picante---but can use any kind)
1-1 1/2 C. Packed Brown Sugar
1 can rootbeer (I've also hear you can use coke or other pops)

Cook about 4 hours on high in crock pot until roast falls apart and you can shred it.  Pull roast out, shred it, place meat back in sauce.

Note:  My meat didn't fall apart quite like a thought it should.  It was good, just not quite as tender as I would have liked.  Maybe next time I would cook it for 6-8 hours.  Or buy a different kind of roast.

For salad:
start with a fresh cooked tortilla (buy raw ones at the store by cheese)
top with lettuce
beans (Black or pinto) (rinse first)
Mexican rice (from a box)
meat (from above)
buy a small container of cafe rio's tomatillo dressing (there are also recipes on the web, but I haven't tried any...let me know if you have a good one!!!!!!)  It is a little spicy, so if your kids (or you) don't like spicy I wouldn't try it.

Note:  I took some shortcuts tonight...I did not cook any tortillas (we just had it without), I did not do mexican rice (I just used white rice from the night before)

For a smothered burrito
Fresh cooked tortilla
beans (Black or kidney)
Mexican rice (from a box)
meat (from above)
Wrap up in tortilla
Place on oven safe plate (or on a cookie sheet or cake pan).  Smother with store bought green chile enchilada sauce.  Top with mozarella cheese.  Broil in oven for a minute or two until cheese is melted.

1 comment:

  1. It didn't taste exactly like Cafe Rio. But it was really good! We ate the meat as leftovers as a pulled pork sandwich with cheese and dipped it in either the sauce or the salad dressing.

    ReplyDelete